James Baines would have approved of his school today. In 1717, the school was founded under his will, to provide care and learning for the young people in the township of Poulton-le-Fylde.
He understood very clearly the benefits and opportunities to be gained from a good education, and these same principles have guided work at Baines ever since. The grammar school traditions from which the school has grown have given us the values of academic excellence, hard work and self-discipline, which are embodied in the school motto “Nil Sine Labore” (Nothing Without Effort).
Today, Baines school continues to provide that pedigree of education, from inception in the senior school, for pupils aged 11 to 16.
As a school with an independent foundation, the school governors have always played a large part in the running of the school, and in the appointment of experienced and well-qualified staff.
The school has a long tradition, being founded and endowed under the will of James Baines, merchant and banker of Poulton in 1717. Until 1978 Baines was a boys grammar school serving a large area of the North Fylde and in that year was reorganised into a fully comprehensive co-educational 11-18 school, which was also voluntary aided non-denominational. From April 1992 Baines became a grant maintained school, but on the 1st September 1999 went back to its original status of voluntary aided.
The intake number for the school is around 170 pupils each year, producing a total population of around 900 pupils, which is expected to grow in number. For many years the school has been heavily over subscribed.
The school is set in its own grounds which include hockey and football pitches, tennis courts, cricket area with an artificial wicket. In addition we have an all-weather pitch. There is also a conservation area which has been maintained and includes natural woodland and a pond. A wide range of sporting and extra-curricular activities is offered, including the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme.