At Baines School we have a broad and balanced curriculum which encourages the development of life skills, such as nutritional awareness, understanding of mental health and physical wellbeing. In particular:
Parents & Carers
in the Curriculum
- Our Catering and Science curriculum include units of work on nutrition and healthy eating.
- Our Science and Physical Education curricula teach pupils the importance of exercise in relation to physiology and physical wellbeing.
- Our vigorous PHSE programme guides pupils through all aspects of mental, physical, and emotional health at the appropriate level for each age group. We also cover relationships and sex education with sensitivity and awareness of our pupil. Healthy living is promoted throughout our Life Skills curriculum which allows them to safely navigate their way in the world we live.
- In Geography, pupils learn about health and social issues around the world and discuss how we can make a difference by contributing to ‘Fairtrade’ and charity projects.
- Curriculum-based trips cover a range of health topics and teaches pupils how to stay safe in a wide range of situations.
- Extra-curricular clubs include a wide variety of sports, such as: football, rugby, netball, cricket and rounders. There are also musical activities and many other clubs to help develop pupils as well-rounded individuals.
- Our Life Skills projects encourage pupils to gain financial awareness, as well as an understanding of the practical elements of running a business.
School Refectory – Sample Menu
(Menus run on a three-week rota and are changed every half term)
Haddock & mozzarella fish cake, chips and peas
Cheese whirl, chips and beans
Iced sponge cake
|Lamb Balti with boiled rice|
Red onion and smoked cheese flan with mash
Rice pudding with jam
Gluten, Milk and Eggs
|Roast chicken dinner|
Eggs, Gluten, Celery
Pork meatballs in tomato with pasta
Cauliflower, broccoli with sliced potato bake
Jam sponge with custard
Milk, Eggs, Gluten
Sausage with spicy wedges
Homemade pizza with wedges
Variety of biscuits
|Sulphite, Milk, Gluten
Jacket Potato with choice of 2 fillings
Pasta with mascarpone or tomato sauce
Variety of sandwiches, cold pasta pots, hot paninis/wraps
|Pupils with allergens should make our Catering Manager, Mrs Wise, aware of these.|
Healthy Living in Life Skill
|Topics||Year 7||Year 8||Year 9||Year 10|
|Drugs and alcohol misuse||x|
|Relationships and consent||x|
|Media sex and relationships||x|
|Health review summary||x|