Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Principles of Applied Science
BTECs are vocationally related qualifications, where learners develop knowledge
and understanding by applying their learning and skills in a work-related context.
Additionally, they engage learners to take responsibility for their own learning and to develop skills that are essential for the modern-day workplace. These skills include: teamworking; working from a prescribed brief; working to deadlines; presenting information effectively; and accurately completing administrative tasks and processes.
The 4 units are:
1 Principles of Science – this is an externally examined unit.
2 Chemistry and Our Earth – this is internally assessed by coursework assignments
3 Energy and Our Universe– this is internally assessed by coursework assignments
4 Biology and Our Environment– this is internally assessed by coursework assignments
In the Principles of Science unit you will explore cells, organs and genes; explore the roles of the nervous and endocrine systems in homeostasis and communication; explore atomic structure and the periodic table; explore substances and chemical reactions; explore the importance of energy stores, energy transfers and energy transformations; explore the properties and applications of waves in the electromagnetic spectrum.
In Units 2, 3 and 4 you will:
- Investigate chemical reactivity and bonding
- Investigate how the uses of chemical substances depend on their chemical and physical properties
- Investigate the factors involved in the rate of chemical reactions
- Understand the factors that are affecting the Earth and its environment
- understand ionising radiation, its uses and sources
- Know how electrical energy produced from different sources can be transferred through the National Grid to homes and industry
- Know the components of the Solar System, the way the Universe is changing and the methods we use to explore space
- Investigate the relationships that different organisms have with each other and with their environment
- Demonstrate an understanding of the effects of human activity on the environment and how these effects can be measured
- Explore the factors that affect human health